FreeNAS server with Adaptec 2610SA RAID Controller
Ian Turner has a great write up about how he built a FreeNAS server with the Adaptec 2610SA RAID Controller and he uses the aaccli utility for managing the RAID controller from the command line.
* PIII computer with 192 MB RAM. Already owned.
* CF-to-IDE adapter and CF card for the OS. This frees up all drive bays for data drives. CF card already owned. CF-to-IDE adapter purchased from Monoprice ($5).
* Adaptec 2610SA RAID Controller. Purchased from eBay auction ($75).
* 3x Western Digital WD5000AAKS hard drives. Purchased from Newegg ($100/ea).
* Linksys LNE100TX 10/100 NIC. Already owned.
* Video card. Already owned.
* SATA power and data cables. Purchased from Monoprice ($1/ea).
You can read more at file server on the cheap.