Bit-tech have posted an excellent tutorial on “How to build a NAS box” which includes both the hardware aspects and the software, which in this case is FreeNAS.
“A NAS – or Network Attached Storage box is the easy and increasingly popular answer because you can simply drag and drop files to/from any PC… NAS boxes are a very low power way to store masses of data, while also giving everyone on the network access to that data.”
As they go on to say there is a certain satisfaction from doing stuff yourself.
The tutorial covers:
- How to build a NAS box
- The Best NAS Hardware: Hard Drives and RAID Cards
- The Best NAS Hardware: CPU and Motherboard
- The Best NAS Hardware: Memory, Case and PSU
- BIOS Setup – Underclocking and Undervolting to Save Power
- FreeNAS setup
- Using FreeNAS for Bit Torrent
You can read more here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/07/23/how-to-build-a-nas-box/